Thursday, April 2, 2009

what I'm eating

A while ago I stopped logging everything I ate here on the blog, although I still log it in my trusty Moleskine.  Just in case anyone was wondering, though, I thought I'd let you know what kinds of food I've been eating lately.

I'm still loving Trader Joe's Ezekiel Bread (no flour, just sprouted whole grains).  We buy a loaf and stick it in the freezer, then pull out one piece at a time and toast them.  I'll eat a piece of toast with peanut butter on it several times a week for a satisfying, protein-filled breakfast.

This week, though, I bought some cottage cheese and have been eating it with some raspberry preserves swirled into it.  For those of you who are hardcore about fats and sugars, that's probably not the ideal breakfast, but I do a good job avoiding sugar generally, and never get enough calcium.

Last week I rediscovered the absolute glory of the simple BLT.  In my kitchen, though, they're BOTs--Bacon, Onion, and Tomato.  I make them on Ezekiel bread, and once again, it's a fairly low-calorie but super satisfying meal.  The bacon feels so decadent, but there are those good whole grains and veggies in there as well.

My mom sent me a recipe for an Indian-style dish that calls for steaming cauliflower and then drenching it in a ginger-cashew-garbanzo bean-onion sauce.  I can't find a link for the recipe, but if anyone is interested let me know and I can email it.  Last night G kept slyly suggesting eating out at an Italian place, but I made the cauliflower instead.  It took a while to chop all the onions, ginger, cilantro, jalapeno, and cauliflower, but it was so worth it in the end.  We served it with a little basmati rice, but that is optional if you're low-carbing it.  Aside from a little oil (or ghee if you have it) the rest of the ingredients are mainly veggies and a few beans. 

I'll be eating leftovers tonight, and then it will be time to figure out the weekend menu--I'm working every night, so I'm thinking there will probably be a caesar salad from the healthy Mediterranean place one night.  

In any case, I'm still happily chopping and dicing and trying new things, and rarely tempted by the greasy takeout and corner bar that did so much damage to my body last fall.  Here's to more of the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment