Tuesday, May 26, 2009

what's my motivation

Did you know that it takes a really long time to walk 8 miles?  True story.
Yesterday G and I and another friend met up to walk an 8 mile loop that G and I had used a lot while training for the Broad Street Run.  It was amazing how loooong and sloooow the walk felt, even compared to my snail-like running pace.  The good news, though, is that we were all hurting at the end, so it must have been good for us.

In other news, Tara over here picks up on my comments in my last entry about feeling somewhat satisfied and unmotivated.  Perhaps the best solution would be for all of us who feel OK with an unhealthy weight to call each other mean names and shame each other into continuing to lose.  

No?  OK then, never mind.  : )

Seriously, though, it's kind of funny when I think about what goes through my head in a normal day.  For example, Saturday I went canoeing and then went out to dinner for our anniversary.  I was wearing a new dress, I had a pleasant stiffness in my arms from canoeing, and I felt hott!   Then in the shower I smoothed soap over my flabby belly and thighs and felt like a fat troll. The point, then, is that those feelings are not the point.  I'm glad to have a healthy self-esteem and be able to recognize when I look good, but just because I don't "feel" motivated doesn't mean I should slack off.

Habit.  It may not be sexy, but it's a pretty good way to get where you want to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey...

    I'm really sorry if I offended you with my blog entry. I didn't consider what I said to be a mean name nor was I trying to shame you into continuing to lose. I'm really sorry if my words made you feel that way and I wish you all the luck in the world on your weight loss pursuits.

    -Tara

    ReplyDelete