Tuesday, January 6, 2009

the plan

All well and good to state my weight and tell my story, but weight loss calls for more than reflection.  I need a plan.

As mentioned below, I've done Weight Watchers.  I'm not going to meetings now, but the most success I have had came with the discipline of tracking everything I eat.  Yesterday I went out and bought a notebook and a pen to keep track of points.  

I'm going to list everything I eat on this blog: that's the truth part.  I will also celebrate every drop of exercise.  Over the next two weeks I am on break, so I plan to spend time exercising every day and hope to drop some holiday pounds quickly.  For now, I am taking long walks and riding the bike at the gym.  Ultimately, I'd like to get back into running, but I need to shed a few pounds first.  At the end of these two weeks, when I go back to school, I want to have a schedule planned out for when I will go to the gym.  G wants to plan one night a week where we walk together, and plan to go for long walks/runs together on the weekends.  

As far as food goes, I am actually quite good at cooking healthy meals, and I love eating them.  I love whole grains and vegetables and fish.  We rarely buy processed food--I seriously hate packaged crap.  My problem is that in addition to my love of healthy home-cooked meals, I love greasy, fatty takeout, as well as delicious meals in fancy restaurants.  I grew up around the world, and there is very little that I don't want to eat.  I don't have a sweet tooth, but I can eat a whole bag of Doritos.  (OK, some packaged crap I'm tempted by--what I really hate is packaged "health" food, like Lean Cuisine or 100 Calorie Packs of nasty cardboard simulated food.)  My philosophy about food is basically what Michael Pollan outlines in In Defense of Food: "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."  However, a philosophy is easy to state and hard to live by.  

For now, I am basically doing Weight Watchers, in tracking points based on the calories, fiber, and fat in food.  I won't be cooking much red meat or simple carbs, but I don't have any hard and fast rules either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment